The Art Of Editing
The Book Editing Process
What is book editing all about?
After finishing writing your book, the next thing is usually editing the book. The goal of editing a book is making it the best. The final copy should be the best version of the book. You might be tempted to think that your book is great already and you don’t need the help of anyone to edit. But you should know that you have spent a lot of time with your book and you actually know what it entails from the first page to the last. Having spent all that time with the book, it is easy to think that everyone will understand your sentences but there is a probability that your readers might really not get what you intended to say. Editing requires a team of experts who will review some areas of your book and make it more effective.
Is editing expensive?
If you want excellent work then editing will cost you. It is expensive but it is for a good reason. Book editors know the industry and all the language rules. It will take them some time to read your document before providing you with feedback and so the costs. For your book to compete with other books then it has to be the best. With a team of editors behind your book, you can be sure that it will be the best version of it. Before handing your manuscript to the book editors make sure it is as clean as possible and that way it won’t cost you much.
Guide of the editing process.
Editing your book takes time, if you want it to be the best of the best then you have to follow the following steps.
- Self-edit. No matter how excellent you are at writing, you will still make some mistakes. That is why self-edit should always be the first thing you do. Fix the typos and if a need of rewriting arises, just do it. Before starting the self-edit give yourself a break so that you can start the self-edit process with fresh eyes. Read slowly and if possible read out loudly so that you can really see what is in your manuscript and not what you intended to write.
- Beta readers. There are people who volunteer to read your book and gives feedback after reading. They are not as good as professionals but they will at least spot some issues before your book undergoes further editing. Look for people who are familiar with the subject of your book and people who will critic your book not just leaving feedbacks saying how great your book is.
- Developmental editors. Their work is to look your manuscript’s big-picture. For fiction manuscript they will focus on plot, characterization and dialogue while for a nonfiction manuscript they will focus on improving the soundness of your argument in the book and improving the clarity of the book.
- Copy editors. Copy editors are the experts in grammar. A copy editor is an expert who will get exactly what you are saying on your book and how you are saying it. He will edit all the grammar, spelling, and punctuation mistakes in your manuscript. He will also point out the inconsistency and errors in your language use.
- Proofreaders. After your manuscript has undergone all those processes then you can read it again and search for some proofreaders to see if there are still some mistakes. By this time your book is almost perfect with very few errors if not no errors at all. There are people who specialize in proofreading so you can hire on or two to proofread your book before you print.
Make sure not to skip even a single step because each step has its purpose.
How will we help you?
We offer editorial packages which will make sure your book is the best version of it. We are experts and we have been doing this for a long time. Below is the packages we offer.
- Basic proofreading. We will offer you one round of proofreading.
- Copy-editing. In this package you will receive a basic copy-edit.
- Developmental edit. You will get a round of developmental editing .
- Publish prep. In this package you get to have a copy-edit and a round of proofreading.